I'm a new mom just trying to get back in the habit of studying my scriptures everyday again. This blog holds me accountable :)

Thursday, October 8, 2009

What Matters Most to You?

Last night we had an um...interesting experience. At 11:30 I was on my laptop, Allie playing in the room with me and Trey studying in our bedroom, when I started hearing a few dogs barking outside. We have neighbors with a dog, so I didn't think much of it. A minute later we heard the doorbell and right after some knocks on the door. I yelled to Trey, because I don't like to answer the door late at night without him there, and heard some urgent-sounding conversation from our neighbors. In one second Trey was telling me to get Allie's jacket and get out of the apartment. Our neighbors said there was a fire in the building and to get out NOW. They said NOW a few times, so I thought it must be a really serious fire and we are probably going to lose everything in our apartment. I grabbed Allie, her pants, and her coat, put on my shoes, grabbed my most prized possession (my camera) and looked outside. I could see flames coming up right outside of our stairwell...it looked like the side of our building was on fire. I yelled to Trey to hurry up because I didn't know how close the fire was to the stairwell and didn't know if we were going to be trapped. We ran out and went down the stairs, hearing the sirens of the fire truck not too far away. Then we saw the fire. It was only a car fire, but it was parked right next to the building and we wondered if it would explode. Luckily, just minutes after we got outside the fire truck got there and put it out.

This experience made me think about a lot of things. First, I was thinking we were going to lose everything we owned and we decided renter's insurance was a good idea. But, mostly, it made me realize that our earthly possessions really aren't important. I really wasn't that sad about the fact that we were going to lose everything, I was mostly thinking about my family's safety and that Allie was going to be warm. I also decided that I probably needed to have multiple copies of my family pictures in different places, and that I need to start digitizing my journals and scrapbooks. :)




Here are some scriptures for today that go along with my thought:

“Seek not for riches but for wisdom; and, behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich.” (D&C 11:7.)

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

“But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Matt. 6:19–21.)

2 comments:

Ceci and Steven said...

Oh my heck that sounds like a scary experience! but eye-opening indeed! I'm glad you're all alright and that you still have an apt full of stuff! Sheesh, crazy story! why was the car burning? was it arson?

Crystal Spencer said...

Wow, Jess! I have goose bumps all over... That is so scary! I am glad it wasn't more serious.