I'm a new mom just trying to get back in the habit of studying my scriptures everyday again. This blog holds me accountable :)

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Patriarchal Blessing

Well, Allie has been sick and I missed a day of scriptures, and today she is still pretty needy and things just keep coming up...so I decided to read the first thing I opened to in my scriptures...which was a copy of my patriarchal blessing.

I know that these blessings are very personal and should not be shared with many people, if any. But, there is one thing I wanted to share that I thought of while I was reading mine. I remember that day VERY vividly. I was fourteen years old, and it was in the summer. I remember being SO hungry from fasting all day long. I remember that I was only listening to church music that day and that I was reading scriptures a lot and praying. I remember being excited and nervous while driving to meet with the patriarch and didn't really know what to expect. I remember the overwhelming feeling of love and comfort that came over me when the patriarch started speaking from the Lord. But, the thing I remember the most, the thing that put that huge lump in my throat and brought the tears to my eyes was that the Lord let me know he was pleased with me. It was the best feeling in the world, to know that at that moment my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ was pleased with the way I was living my life.

There have been a few times I have had this same impression: the day I was sealed to Trey, the early morning Trey and I welcomed Allie into our family for the first time, and sometimes when I am just doing what I should be, like attending the temple and church, or even just at home with Allie. I think that all of us needs to know once in a while that we are exactly where we need to be, doing what we should be doing, and that Heavenly Father is pleased with us.

1 comment:

Crystal Spencer said...

I remember when I was younger, I would wish I could get a grade (A, B, C, D, or F) from Heavenly Father on how he thought I was doing in life. I have realized since then, the point is not necessarily to always have an A, but just to be progressing from where you are. But I love those times in life, like your experiences you shared, when I KNOW I am getting an "A" because of the feeling I have. It is an overwhelming feeling of peace and love.

Thanks for your little thoughts you share. Sometimes I just consider your blog my Spiritual thought for the day. I love it! Maybe someday I can be as good as you about scripture study.

Hope Allie gets feeling better!