I'm a new mom just trying to get back in the habit of studying my scriptures everyday again. This blog holds me accountable :)

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Asking for Blessings

The Bible Dictionary has always been one of my favorite parts of the Bible. You can learn so much from it! I was reading about prayer in the BD and I really liked this part:

"The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them."

Why did I never think of it this way before? I knew that Heavenly Father blessed those that humbled themselves and asked for blessings. But, I have been in the mind frame that we should be thanking Him for our blessings more than asking for others. For some reason I never realized that many of our blessings "are made conditional on our asking for them." I am looking back in my life at times where I had needs/wants for blessings and maybe didn't go to the Lord for them. I think that every time I need something now I will evaluate it and if it is a righteous desire I will definitely ask!

1 comment:

Als said...

Love it Jess, I'll look forward to your posts! Thanks for being a great example.