I'm a new mom just trying to get back in the habit of studying my scriptures everyday again. This blog holds me accountable :)

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sabbath

Today in Sunday School we had a GREAT lesson by Bro. Sanderson - I always really like his lessons... There were a lot of comments about the importance of coming together to worship and partake of the sacrament. There was a scripture I particulary liked in D&C 59:9-14:

"And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy holy sacraments upon my holy day; For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High; Nevertheless thy vows shall be offered up in righteousness on all days and at all times; But remember that on this, the Lord's day, thou shalt offer thine oblations and thy sacraments unto the Most High, confessing thy sins unto thy brethren, and before the Lord..."

The Sabbath is a day to me that should always be different from the rest of the week and a day of rest. I always believed it was important to go to our meetings every Sunday. I think today what i was reminded was that it is the Lord's day. Just like we give back 10% in the money we earn (of course everything we have is already the Lord's) we should give back one day of the week... In a way it is like tithing on our time...

Another thing I thought was interesting was the part about "confessing thy sins unto thy brethren" I see this 2 ways:

1. confessing to the bishop
2. humbling ourselves with the other members of the church and talking about our imperfections in the attitude of looking for ways we can better ourselves. I don't even know how many times I have heard someone comment about one of their imperfections and how they work on it and I have the same imperfection! I ALWAYS get ideas from others on how I can better myself through hearing others examples.

2 comments:

Maria said...

This is a nice reminder Jess. Sounds like it was a great lesson. I too love the peacefulness of Sundays. I really enjoyed the rain storm today- I just sat on my couch all curled up with a blanket and listened and pondered. So refreshing.

Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the more trivial aspects of Sunday meetings (like how I often feel I'm caring for Austin more than teaching Primary or learning from lessons... OR when I can't figure out the best volume setting for the Organ, all these can make for a flustered feeling Sabbath :))... but those things sustain us and they help us to appreciate the times we do get to just sit and listen and learn and enjoy.

Perhaps, though, serving on Sundays (your family and your ward) is a way we can pay devotions to the Most High and we can take comfort in that. That's a lesson I need. I imagine that as our families grow and our lives become more filled we will have to search out those peaceful and worshipful moments even more- where would we be without them? I for sure need them.

Trey said...

I know what you mean - i totally get nervous and anxious when I have to get up in front of people on Sunday but those days always end up to be the better Sundays. It is nice to know that we are giving back by serving on Sundays & makes me want to do more!