I'm a new mom just trying to get back in the habit of studying my scriptures everyday again. This blog holds me accountable :)

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Controlling Our Thoughts

There was an article in the Ensign called "Think About What You Are Thinking" by Bruce K Fordham...here is my quick summary:

Satan wants us to be "miserable like unto himself" (2 Ne 2:27) so he makes us think we cannot control our thoughts.

Alma 50:1-6, 10:
Captain Moroni built fortifications ahead of time to defend his people against their enemies.

We can do the same thing to protect us from evil thoughts... There are two techniques we can use.

1. Treat the thought with indifference, preventing it from developing or becoming engaging to our minds.
2. Replace the thought with a wholesome thought or activity.

He suggests having a go-to hymn to think about when we have a bad thought.

Personally, when I start thinking about something negative or evil I think about my family. I try to remember the last really fun thing I did with family or friends, or I think about my to-do list. And, I try not to watch any movies that would burn any bad images in my brain. :) If there is something that is especially bothering me I ask Heavenly Father to help me not think about it. We can always ask for forgiveness and help daily in prayer!

3 comments:

Als said...

Scott and I read this for our FHE lesson on Monday and I thought it was such a good talk. It's really helpful with all the crud you run across just changing the channels on TV.

Alicia said...

This is such a great Blog! I totally agree and love reading your thoughts!
Thanks!

Trey said...

Thanks! Its nice to know that I'm not the only one benefitting :)