I'm a new mom just trying to get back in the habit of studying my scriptures everyday again. This blog holds me accountable :)

Monday, June 8, 2009

Alma 7

I have decided that on the weekends I will read, but just wait to post my readings on Monday...
This weekend I finished up chapter 5 and 6...In chapter 7 there are a couple points that I thought were interesting in my manual.

Alma 7:10: This verse has been one of the favorites for anti-mormon literature. It says that Jesus will be born in the land of Jerusalem. In my manual it talks a lot about the wording. Alma had no intention of declaring that Jesus would be born in the city of Jerusalem. He simply said he would be born "at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers." Here Jerusalem is not the city, it is the land. Christ was born about six miles from Jerusalem in the village of Bethlehem. So, technically it WAS in the land of Jerusalem. This makes sense to me, as I always tell people I am from Seattle, when I am actually from Maple Valley (but no one knows where that is) :)

The second point in this chapter is Alma 7:23-24 which lists requirements of a true follower of Christ.
1. Humble
2. Submissive
3. Gentle
4. Easy to be entreated
5. Full of Patience
6. Long-suffering
7. Temperate in all things
8. Diligent
9. Keep commandments
10. Asking for what we need (spiritual & temporal)
11. Returning thanks for those things
12. Faith
13. Hope
14. Charity
15. Good works

No comments: