I'm a new mom just trying to get back in the habit of studying my scriptures everyday again. This blog holds me accountable :)

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Born Again

I have always been a little confused about this term - to be born again. I understand what it is implying and understand when I hear conversion stories and experiences. But, what about those of us that don't have a major change, who go throughout their lives living the gospel the best we can and don't need to make major changes to come unto Christ?

Mosiah 27:25 says "...Marvel not that all mankind...must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters."

When reading Alma the Younger's conversion experience we can compare the state he was in before and after his conversion. Before he was secretive, destructive, in a dark abyss, rejecting the Lord, in exquisite pain, bitter, and sinful. Afterwards he was public, constructive, filled with a marvelous light, testifying of the Lord, filled with exquisite joy, sweet, and forgot his sins. We can also see the kind of thoughts he had in Mosiah 28:3:

"Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even the very thought that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble."

Bruce R McConkie said "We die as pertaining to the things of this world and we become alive in Christ."

Reading all of this gives me two ideas: One, we need to constantly push away the things of the world and be mostly concerned with the gospel and sharing it with others. Two, maybe I won't be born again unless I can eventually become like Christ. Maybe I won't truly be born again until after this life. Does anyone have any insights on this topic they could share?

No comments: