I'm a new mom just trying to get back in the habit of studying my scriptures everyday again. This blog holds me accountable :)

Monday, May 25, 2009

Church & Politics


Alma 1:17-18 : Capital Punishment (also Gen.9:6)

The church's position on capital punishment was delared in 1889 by the first presidency
"...we regard the killing of human beings, except in conformity with the civil law, as a capital crime which should be punished by the shedding of blood of the criminal, after a public trial before a legally constituted court of the land..."


I like that the church tries to stay out of politics, but I like it when they do too. I thought it was really neat when they encouraged members in California to vote against same sex marriage. It just illustrates how strong the church really is when we have influence over things like that.

I think that as members we should be involved in our schools and community. We need to try to keep up at least a little with what's going on in the world, but especially in our community and schools. We need to take a stand when issues come up that compromise our standards.

Today I read an e-mail that reminds me of this. Here is the link:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/confessions.asp

2 comments:

Natasha Gwynn said...

Thanks for your post about capital punishment. It's very timely for me. Mark and I were just discussing this morning a question we read in a book: "How can Christians accept capital punishment but shun abortion?". Now we know the church's position on it - which surprises me in some ways but makes sense in others. So thank you :-)

Trey said...

No prob...I was actually wondering the same thing so I was excited when I found this declaration.