I'm a new mom just trying to get back in the habit of studying my scriptures everyday again. This blog holds me accountable :)

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Love Thy Neighbor

To review my scripture mastery...

Moses 7:18 - Zion, Unity

Genesis 39:9 - Flee from wickedness

Exodus 20:3-17 - Ten Commandments

Exodus 33:11 - "And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend..." (this was Jesus speaking - I always get confused as to who is being referred to in the scriptures as the Lord. I know that it is different in every book so its hard to remember. Does anyone have a good way to determine/remember that?)



Leviticus 19:18 - Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Its funny that I am reading this scripture today. We just got some new downstairs neighbors that aren't from the US (they are from the mid east I think) and they have two toddlers. Everyday since they have moved in they have cooked really smelly food that makes my apartment smell bad and makes me feel sick. Their kids are really loud too and they are always out on their balcony (or at least whenever me and Allie are out on ours) It has been a frustrating couple of days adjusting to the way its going to be from now until they move and I have definitely not been loving my neighbors.

I think that this commandment is definitely hard in the "dog eat dog" world we live in today. There is so much contention and everyone has a strange idea of entitlement to the American dream with no work or effort. It seems like the world is becoming more and more selfish and I think we need to step back and look at how we view our own lives and remember that God has given us everything. I think it is important to not say "what can this country/ward members/neighbors do for me, but what can I do for them?"

No comments: